Thursday, March 01, 2007

Boyband Love

Sydney Star Observer

WESTLIFE STAR MARK FEEHILY CAME OUT TO THE WORLD TWO YEARS AGO.

SUNNY BURNS: How are you finding Australia?

MARK FEEHILY: Australia has been great so far. We went to Perth and had a few days off in the sun, but we have been skipping from place to place for the last few gigs.

SB You came out two years ago. Was it a big step?

MF It was enormous at the time. I’m lucky that I had the support of all my family, band members and fans. Since then it has all died down, which to be honest is what I want. I wanted to say it and then for it to go away. The less deal made about it the better. I want the message to be that it’s no big deal being gay.

SB So what made you come out?

MF It was an issue that I needed to sort out and I didn’t want to hide it any more. My entire life wasn’t a depression or anything like that. There were some elements that were really hard and at times I didn’t have time to think about it because I was so busy in the band. When the band slowed down, I realised that some part of my life was missing.

SB Did your family and band know beforehand?

MF My family and friends already knew. I also told the band a long time before I came out to the public. They are fine with it.

SB Do you have a boyfriend?

MF I met my boyfriend Kevin McDavid two years ago. He was also in a boy band called V.

SB Was he also a reason for you to come out?

MF Yes, I didn’t want to be going to the cinema or restaurants with hats on and worrying about people seeing me. That’s not me at all. So, I nipped it in the bud and started a relationship and came out. It has worked really well.

SB How did you meet Kevin?

MF We met at a charity gig in Dublin. Neither of us was publicly gay at the time and we didn’t know that each other was gay. It was really funny. We just connected and have excellent chemistry.

SB How is the relationship going?

MF It’s going fantastic. We just had a two-year anniversary at the end of January. We went to the charity concert where we first met and partied all that night. The next day I hired out a penthouse and got a dog as well. We just spent the entire day lounging around watching TV and getting room service. It was really nice. We also have a place in London together. He is just a missing piece of me that I haven’t had for so long and something I always longed to have and now I have it. It’s better than I thought it would be.

SB Are you doing anything for Mardi Gras?

MF No, because we have gigs in Melbourne and Brisbane. I was here last year, practically for the whole event. I saw the parade. It was one of the best nights of my entire life. This time we are just missing it by the skin of our teeth. I was really disappointed. I’m jealous that you all get to go to Mardi Gras.

No comments: