Thursday, May 11, 2006

You're Gonna Need A Bigger Boat

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away there was a failure to communicate. "Play it Sam", said one. "Play 'Doof Doof music.' Now get your hands off me, you damned dirty Emo!"

"Nobody puts Emo in the corner!" screamed the other.

"You talking to me?"

"I see dead people!" The audience cheered. "Toga! Toga!"

Welcome to the Doof/Emo deathmatch. Both as derivative as the other, watch them battle it out to decide, once and for all...

Who's KING OF THE WORLD!


(For those of you who are NOT mstu2000 students, this is my flyer for the Emo/Doof deathmatch that is currently brewing in our class. In case you're totally confused)

9 comments:

Cory Messenger said...

Full marks for including 8 film references.

Cory Messenger said...

And no, I don't count Titanic.

Grace Suter said...

True, but could you say that if Emo suicided, it'd technically 'win'? Because Doof wouldn't have actually 'killed' Emo? Or would that be considered forfeiting?

And also, by committing suicide, wouldn't Emo have reached it's ultimate goal? Thereby beating Doof in the 'I'm committed to my music' stakes?

It's very tricky.

I think I'm gonna go with Emo. I mean, I despise Emo, but it might be in with a chance.

Grace Suter said...

Aww... Titanic's a classic! It only got slagged because it was so overexposed that everyone got sick of it.

I usually wait a few years between viewings, that way my love for it regenerates over time.

Grace Suter said...

And, even without Titanic, it's actually 9 if you include the title of the post.

Ha.

Cory Messenger said...

Nine, you're right--the Jaws quote is actually my all-time favourite (and I gave a lecture on Jaws just last week).

As for Titanic, quite frankly I couldn't wait for that damn boat to sink.

Grace Suter said...

God yeah, when it snapped in half... and then that guy smacking into the propellor! Genius!

I saw that movie three times when it was out!

Grace Suter said...

Nah, just making the point that no matter hoe much they go on about their own styles being superior, they're just as derivative as everything else.

Hence, ripping off loads of movie quotes. Nothing's original.

Grace Suter said...

That's okay, I'm obscure. I don't think anyone will get it, which isn't actually a good thing. A really clever metaphor's only good if people can understand it.